prohibition-smoke-2.gifSmoking cigarettes that is. Yes, for those that didn’t know, I was a smoker. Not necessarily a closet smoker. I’ve been a full time smoker since I was in the Army. I don’t remember exactly when I started, but I believe it was around the time that I was 19 or 20 years old. So that puts me at about 13 to 14 years of having that nasty habit. When I first started, I was going through about a pack and a half a day. I guess there was nothing better to do with any free time that I had in the Army than to smoke. Everyone else was taking smoke breaks, so I did too. That pace continued for about 5 years. It changed a little bit once I started college. I didn’t smoke on my way to class or really during the day. It seemed weird to me to be smoking. I felt like one of “those” people if I did. At that point, I was going through far less cigarettes. I probably should have just stopped, but I didn’t.

Now recently, I have only been smoking on average 3 or 4 cigarettes a day. And those were generally in the evening. One when I got done with work. One after dinner. Maybe another in the evening. And then one before I went to bed. Since I wasn’t smoking that much, I knew that it probably wouldn’t be that difficult for me to quit. I just had to make my mind up to actually kick the habit. I enjoyed smoking, but I didn’t enjoy thinking about how bad for me it was. When Lori was pregnant with Logan, I told her that I would quit before he was born. Well, once the miscarriage happened, I definitely didn’t want to quit. That was a way for me to calm down and sort of escape the reality of what happened. It was a relaxing mechanism that I could count on.

Then last year, I told Lori that I would quit either on July 4th or when we found out we were pregnant again. Well, July 4th came and went and then we found out we were pregnant. But, I wasn’t ready at that point. So I continued on with my gross habit. Well, as luck would have it, I got allergies for the first time in my life. Week before last, I got knocked down with a nasty case of cedar fever. I was laid up in bed and on the couch for 5 days straight. I thought, “what a good time to quit smoking”. And I did. And I haven’t craved a cigarette since then. My last day of actually smoking a cigarette was on January 29th. I have officially quit! I love it that it really doesn’t even bother me. I think any jitteriness or anxiousness that I would have had by quitting may have happened while I was sick, but I couldn’t tell the difference. And now I’m past that. I couldn’t be happier. I think about it from time to time, but I don’t crave it. I don’t feel like I have to have one!

So I’m proud of myself. I knew that I had to quit before Corban was born. I knew that the day was coming up fast on us. And I was nervous about having to do the quitting part of it. But, like I said, it hasn’t been bad at all. And I feel great! This has been a huge accomplishment for me. It’s not usually easy to quit something that you have been doing every day of your life for 13 or 14 years. But, it seems to have been pretty easy for me. Thank you cedar fever. You did something good for me! I can breathe a little easier now!