Monday night (August 2nd) right before midnight, Lori started having contractions that she thought warranted some attention.  At this point in the pregnancy, she was, according to the charts, a week and 3 days overdue.  She was ready to get that baby out, especially with the 100+ degree days that we’ve been having.  So we called the birthing center (we were doing the all natural route) and the on call midwife suggested that we come in.  By the time we got around to it and got there, it was 1:35AM.  She was having contractions 3 minutes apart at that point.  She was handling them like a champ too.  Perfect mind control and beautiful breathing pattern.  She was a natural! 

We got in, had her vitals taken, got into the room that we’d be using (which looks like a real nice bed and breakfast) and the midwife said Lori was at a 3 1/2, so it might be a little while still.  She left the room, telling us to just let us do our thing.  Lori was totally in control of what was going on with her body.  It was amazing.  Around 2:30, Vicki, the midwife, came back in to check on us.  Everything seemed to be about the same as far as how frequent the contractions were coming, although, Lori said they felt like they were getting a little bit more intense.  With her eye on the natural birth prize, she kept on doing her thing.  Vicki left again and told us to buzz her if anything substantial changed. 

About 15 minutes after that, Lori was in the bathroom doing bathroom business and she told me all of the sudden that she needed to push.  I buzzed Vicki and when she got there, she told Lori that she wanted her to try and get up and get over to the bed.  Lori wasn’t sure if she’d be able to.  But finally, she got a 5 second reprieve and we helped her over to the bed.  Vicki checked to see how dilated she was and said “Oh! He’s here.  Go ahead and start pushing!” 

He was born 3 pushes later at 3:02AM.  I was in utter amazement at the whole thing.  Lori made it look SO easy.  This was her first completely natural childbirth and she made it look like she had done it 10 times before.  It was incredible!! 

So here are a couple of pictures that we took shortly afterwards.  The picture of the 3 of us was taken about 30 minutes after he was born.  Lori did NOT do anything to clean herself up or try to make herself look more presentable.  She was just glowing naturally!  Heck, I look more tired than she did.  And I think I literally broke more of a sweat than she did.  The other picture is Lori’s mother holding Asher. 

I couldn’t have asked for a more perfect partner to experience this with.  She made childbirth everything that I wanted my wife to make it.  She experienced something phenomenal and empowering.  It’s hard for me to even put into words how moved I was by this whole thing. 

We had Asher at 3AM and we were back home 8 hours later.  I have to say, the birthing center experience was a thousand times better than the hospital experience we had last time.  Don’t get me wrong, the people we dealt with last time were nice, but the general feeling in a hurried hospital just seemed a little robotic.  With the birthing center, we truly felt like we were dealing with family.  We weren’t rushed during the prenatal appointments or even during the delivering and post pardum.  It was simply awesome!!  I can’t say enough good things about it.

 This is probably our last kid to have, but IF we ever have another one, we’ll be back with the birthing center.  How could we not? 

I’m still in shock that we have a new baby now.  He’s doing great and Lori is too.  It couldn’t be more perfect.  We’ll be taking some really good pictures in the next few days so I’ll send some when Lori gets them done and edited.  Until then, these two will have to suffice.